Winter can be a great time to make memories with your family. The days may be dark and dreary, or it may be cold and snowy, but there are lots of fun ways to connect with each other and make the most of your time together.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
Enjoy the wintry outdoors…
- Bundle up to take a walk at a local forest preserve. Bring a thermos of cocoa and try a new trail.
- Try cross-country skiing, a low cost alternative to hitting the slopes, and one that lets you enjoy the beauty of winter at a slower pace.
- Build a snowman if you can, or even a snow family.
- Try ice skating or snowshoeing.
- Identify animal tracks and try to name the different birds you see and hear.
- Use diluted food coloring to paint pictures in the snow.
Stay warm and cozy inside…
- Have a board game marathon, trying some new games as well as old favorites.
- Pick a country you’d like to visit, and plan and cook a meal from that place.
- Bake and decorate cookies for your neighbors.
- Keep a jigsaw puzzle going.
- Plan a flower or vegetable garden for spring planting.
- Try a new hobby, such as knitting, watercolor painting, or woodcarving.
- Make a big bowl of popcorn and watch a classic family movie.
Venture out into the community…
- Volunteer together as a family.
- Shovel snow for an elderly neighbor.
- Visit the library and choose something different, such as science fiction or a new cookbook.
- Check out family art classes or activity nights in your area.
- Visit the zoo to see the penguins and polar bears.
As always, check out the KidsMatter website for more events and opportunities for kids and families. Visit kidsmatter2us.org.