Above / Naperville Fire Department reports structure fire on 400 Block of Quail Drive caused $30,000 in estimated damages. No injuries reported. (PN file photos are used to help flag reports about Naperville Fire Department and Police Department responses to emergency calls, always reminding readers that keeping the community safe is everyone’s responsibility. Thanks for calling 911 whenever seeing something suspicious. Be alert by day and by night. Stay safe.)
At 2:01AM on Sunday, Nov. 19, 2023, Naperville’s Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) received a call from a resident reporting a structure fire at a single-family residence in the 400 block of Quail Dr. PSAP immediately dispatched a general alarm response to the location.
A general alarm assignment consists of three engines, two ladder trucks, one heavy rescue squad, two medic units, and two battalion commanders.
The first unit arrived on scene at 2:06AM, where they found a two-story, wood-framed, single-family residential structure with smoke showing from the exterior.
First-arriving companies completed a 360-degree survey of the occupancy, provided an on-scene report, established command, and began fire operations. On-scene companies began an investigation and found a fire in the second-floor ceiling and attic of the home.
Crews began an offensive interior attack, stretching hose lines to the second floor. Ventilation was accomplished by opening up a hole in the roof of the home to allow smoke and heat to exit and assist crews working inside to extinguish the fire.
Companies on the scene found all residents (two adults and two children) out of the home prior to arrival. Primary and secondary searches confirmed that there were no other occupants or pets in the home or in need of rescue.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes of the initial alarm. Fire crews remained on the scene for another hour to look for any fire extension and conduct salvage and overhaul operations.
The Naperville Fire Department was assisted on the scene by the Naperville Police Department. The Bolingbrook Fire Department provided Station coverage for Naperville during the incident.
The cause of the fire was a bathroom ceiling vent fan that caught fire; the residents were alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors in the home. Damages to the home are estimated at $30,000. There were no injuries to any firefighters. The house was deemed to be uninhabitable.
Report submitted by Phil Giannattasio, CFO, Deputy Chief | Naperville Fire Department.