The Naperville Fire Department Division of Community Risk Reduction has established a Temporary Residential Lock Box Program for residents of the City of Naperville. The Temporary Lock Box program provides a secure means of access to your home in case of a medical emergency. Lock Boxes are safe, secure, and UL tested. With this box in place, emergency responders can gain access to the resident in need without forcing entry and causing damage to the residence. They simply remove the entrance key stored inside, provide medical assistance, and relock your door when they leave. The Lock Box is easily secured over the top of your front door, no drilling required.
If you are approved for a lock box, you will be required to register with “Community Connect” (https://www.naperville.il.us/services/naperville-fire-department/programs-and-services/community-connect/) and a member of our Community Advocate Response Team will conduct a safety check of your home which will include a smoke detector check. After the inspection you will be advised of the possible issues and recommendations for correction.
The Temporary Residential Lock Box for individuals who:
- Have a history of medical problems and live alone.
- Recuperating at home from a hospital stay
- Have a medical alert pendant or home medical alert system.
Application and installation process:
- You may pick up your application at the Naperville Fire Department 1380 Aurora Ave. or online at www.naperville.il.us.
- Submit your application to The Division of Community Risk Reduction for review.
If approved you will be notified of installation instructions.
- A representative from the Fire Department will meet with you to answer any questions you may have.
Kindly Note! The Temporary Lock Box is available for those who meet the criteria listed above. There are a limited number of Lock Boxes available and are to be used for short-term purposes. The Naperville Fire Department offers this service for free. If the term of usage should exceed (6) months, the recommendation would be to purchase a Lock Box.