Summer is upon us and this is the perfect time to remind families and swimmers about backyard pool and water safety.
Here are some safety rules to follow:
- Install pool barriers such as a fence, gates and alarms
- Install anti-entrapment safety drain covers
- Supervise children closely at all times
- Learn to swim
- Create and institute rules for your pool
- Prepare for emergencies (take a CPR class, keep pool rescue equipment such as a reaching pole or float nearby, share pool rules with everyone)
- Never swim alone
Fry Family YMCA proudly offers swim lessons that focus on safety around the pool and in the water. Educating swimmers and their families about water safety is an integral component in our swim lesson program. We offer private, semi-private and group lessons taught by expert certified instructors.
At Fry Family YMCA, we also have a program for children ages 8-15 called Swim League. Swim League is a non-competitive swim program, which is a great opportunity for children who are interested in competitive swimming but are not yet ready to commit to being on a competitive swim team. Being on a swim team requires substantial monetary and voluntary commitments, the Fry Swim League does not. These are some of the reasons the program is so popular in our community.
Whether you are just learning to swim, or dabbling in league type swim format, Fry Family YMCA has options for everyone that not only work with your schedule but your budget.
For more information on swim options at Fry Family YMCA, please contact Julia Sachs at JSachs@ymcachicago.org.